HONOLULU - UC Santa Barbara began the 2017 dual match season in very impressive fashion on Saturday as it blasted San Diego State 7-0 in Honolulu.
The Gauchos routed the Aztecs in doubles play, winning 6-0 at the No. 2 position and cruising to a 6-1 victory at the No. 3 slot. UCSB's top team, and the number one ranked team in the Southwest Region, Simon Freund and Morgan Mays, did not have a chance to finish its match at No. 1.
The Gauchos carried the momentum into singles play where they won the first set on every court. San Diego State, however, didn't fold and, in fact, rallied to take second set leads on courts 1, 2, 3 and 5.
"It's never easy to finish off a quality team" said Santa Barbara head coach Marty Davis.
Anders Holm put the second point on the board for UCSB with a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 6 and Nicolas Moreno de Alboran extended the lead by battling back to take the second set at No. 1, making the score 3-0.
Mays saved a set point at No.2 singles as Cody Rakela dropped the second set at No. 5. Freund went down 2-5 in the second set at No.3. Chase Masciorini put the nail in the Aztecs' coffin, closing out his match 6-3, 6-4 at the No. 4 singles spot. Mays, Freund and Rakela all ended up winning their matches.
"It got a little stressful," Davis said. "But in the end it was a very good way to open the season."
The Gauchos hope to take the first step towards winning their third straight Big West conference championship by registering a win over the host University of Hawaii Rainbow Warriors at noon on Sunday.
UC Santa Barbara 7, San Diego State 0
UH Tennis Complex
Jan. 14, 2017
1. Morgan Mays/Simon Freund (UCSB) vs. Marko Goles-Babic/Dander Gjoels-Andersen (SDSU) - Unfinished
2. Nicolas Moreno de Alboran/Anders Holm (UCSB) def. Santiago Cevallos/Milen Ianaklev (SDSU) - 6-0
3. Chase Masciorini/Kristian Prior (UCSB) def. Joel Popov/David Hough (SDSU) - 6-1
1. Nicolas Moreno de Alboran (UCSB) def. Milen Ianaklev (SDSU) - 6-3, 7-5
2. Morgan Mays (UCSB) def. Marko Goles-Babic (SDSU) - 6-3, 7-6
3. Simon Freund (UCSB) def. Sander Gjoels-Anderson (SDSU) - 6-3, 7-5
4. Chase Masciorini (UCSB) def. Joel Popov (SDSU) - 6-3, 6-4
5. Cody Rakela (UCSB) def. Rafael Gonzalez Almazan (SDSU) - 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
6. Anders Holm (UCSB) def. David Hough (SDSU) - 6-3, 6-2