SANTA BARBARA, Calif.- Friday morning the No. 49 UCSB Men's Tennis team defeated visiting Hawaii in it's first conference matchup, sweeping the Rainbow Warriors 7-0. This is the second straight win for the Gauchos and they improve their record to 11-6 overall.
Santa Barbara made the most of its matchup with a struggling Hawaii team winning every matchup on the day. Even more impressive, the team won every match in straight set sweep.
The Gauchos opened up taking the doubles point to give them a 1-0 to start. The freshmen team of Nicolas Moreno de Alboran and Anders Holm were the first off with a 6-1 win on court two. The veteran duo of junior co-captain Morgan Mays and Andrew Riminton sealed the point with a 6-3 win on court three.
The Rainbow Warriors grinded in the first sets on the other courts, forcing extra games on the first four. Despite keeping it close, Hawaii couldn't hold on dropping all four.
Mays worked to take away the first set on court three and then swept the next set taking a total win of 7-5, 6-0. Holm was the next to finish with a 7-6, 6-2 win on court four.
The upper two courts were the last to finish as the Warriors looked to break the shutout for the Gauchos. The match on court two was a slim win in the favor of Santa Barbara. Moreno de Alboran put his team up 6-0 with a 7-6, 6-4 win and the sweep came down to court one. Senior Nathan Eshmade, possibly playing Hawaii for his last time, completed the 7-0 sweep with a 7-5, 6-3 win to give his team its first Big West win.
The Gauchos will be back with another conference matchup this Sunday as they host UC Irvine at 2pm at the Rec Cen Courts.
Final Match Results
No. 49 UCSB 7 – Hawaii 0
1) No. 36 Eshmade/Seemann (UCSB) vs. Albert/Chan (UH) 5-2 dnf.
2) Moreno de Alboran/Holm (UCSB) def. Pinola/Blattner (UH) 6-1
3) Mays/Riminton (UCSB) def. Travalino/Woehrl (UH) 6-3
Order of Finish: 2, 3
1) Eshmade (UCSB) def. Albert (UH) 7-5, 6-3
2) Moreno de Alboran (UCSB) def. Kolaric (UH) 7-6, 6-4
3) Mays (UCSB) def. Chan (UH) 7-5, 6-0
4) Holm (UCSB) def. Blattner (UH) 7-6, 6-2
5) Rakela (UCSB) def. Travalino (UH) 6-1, 6-0
6) Hamilton (UCSB) def. Woehrl (UH) 6-1, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 3, 4, 2, 1