Men’s Tennis Season Ends in Big West Semifinals
INDIAN WELLS, Calif. – The No. 3 Gauchos had their title hopes dashed by their historic rivals, No. 2-seeded Cal Poly, as they were defeated in a 4-0 sweep in the semifinals of the Big West Championships at the Indian Wells Tennis Garden on Friday afternoon.
The Mustangs used a narrow victory in the doubles competition and three straight singles wins to push their way past the defending champs.
Santa Barbara earned the first victory in doubles play after Gaucho duo Erik Johnsson and Miles Seemann defeated Cal Poly's Barber/Pang 8-5 at No. 2 doubles but Cal Poly came back with two close wins at No. 3 and No. 1 doubles to secure the doubles point. At No. 3 doubles, Teague Hamilton and Andrew Riminton fell just short in the tiebreaker to drop the match 8-7 (4) and UCSB pair Ziad Sultan and Sasha Gryaznov fell 8-6 at No. 1 doubles.
After claiming the 1-0 lead, Cal Poly went on to win in singles matches at No. 1, No. 3, and No. 6 singles to end the Gauchos' season.
With the loss, UCSB finishes the season at 9-14 overall while Cal Poly improved their record to 10-12 and earned a berth in the Big West Championship finals against No. 1 seed Hawai'i.
No. 2 Cal Poly 4, No. 3 UC Santa Barbara 0
April 25, 2014
Indian Wells Tennis Garden
1. Comuzzo/Thomson (CP) def. Gryaznov/Sultan (UCSB) - 8-6
2. Johnsson/Seemann (UCSB) def. Devin Barber/Pang (CP) - 8-5
3. De Jager/Donovan (CP) def. Hamilton/Andrew Riminton (UCSB) - 8-7 (4)
Order of finish: 2, 3, 1
1. Ben Donovan (CP) def. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) - 6-1, 6-2
2. Marco Comuzzo (CP) vs. Sasha Gryaznov (UCSB) - DNF
3. Jurgen De Jager (CP) def. Erik Johnsson (UCSB) - 6-1, 6-3
4. Corey Pang (CP) vs. Teague Hamilton (UCSB) - DNF
5. Matt Thomson (CP) vs. Miles Seemann (UCSB) - DNF
6. Naveen Beasley (CP) def. Luke Steeb (UCSB) - 6-1, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 6