LOS ANGELES, Calif. – UC Santa Barbara men's tennis (2-5) was dealt a tough loss on the road Friday, as they were swept by the No. 2-ranked team in the nation, USC (9-1). The Gauchos dropped the doubles point and were defeated in the remaining six singles matches en route to the 7-0 decision.
The Gauchos fought hard against the Trojans but the talent and depth of the Pac-12 powerhouse proved too much for UCSB. The Trojans boast a trio of nationally-ranked players, including #16 Yannick Hanfmann at No. 1 singles, #7 Ray Sarmiento at No. 2 singles, and #47 Jonny Wang at No. 5 singles, as well as #35-ranked Sarmiento/Hanfmann in doubles.
UCSB kept the doubles matches competitive, losing in close battles at courts 1 and 3. At No. 1 doubles, Gaucho teammates Ziad Sultan and Sasha Gryaznov were edged 8-6 by USC's #35 Sarmiento/Hanfmann. UCSB duo Erik Johnsson and Teague Hamilton also put up a tough fight at No. 3 doubles and were locked in a 7-7 tie before USC clinched the doubles point at court 2 and play was suspended.
In singles play, the Gauchos couldn't get any momentum going and lost all six matches as USC completed the sweep. Junior Ziad Sultan battled hard at No. 2 singles against #7 Ray Sarmiento and forced a tiebreaker in the second set, but was eventually defeated 6-1, 7-6 (4).
The Gauchos will look to bounce back from this loss as they return home to the Rec Cen Courts on Sunday, Feb. 23 to host Fresno State at 1:00 p.m.
No. 2 Univ. of Southern California 7, UC Santa Barbara 0
February 21, 2014
Los Angeles, Calif. (Marks Stadium)
1. #35 Sarmiento/Hanfmann (USC) def. Sultan/Gryaznov (UCSB) 8-6
2. Johnson/de Vroome (USC) def. Galskov/Seemann (UCSB) 8-4
3. Crystal/Bellamy (USC) def. Johnsson/Hamilton (UCSB) 7-7, DNF
1. #16 Yannick Hanfmann (USC) def. #108 Tobias Galskov (UCSB) 6-0, 6-1
2. #7 Ray Sarmiento (USC) def. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) 6-1, 7-6 (4)
3. Max de Vroome (USC) def. Sasha Gryaznov (UCSB) 6-2, 6-4
4. Eric Johnson (USC) def. Erik Johnsson (UCSB) 6-2, 6-2
5. #47 Jonny Wang (USC) def. Andrew Riminton (UCSB) 6-0, 6-0
6. Rob Bellamy (USC) def. Teague Hamilton (UCSB) 6-2, 6-2
Order of Finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (5, 1, 4, 6, 3, 2)
UCSB Season Record: 2-5