Gauchos Drop Match at Hawai’i Pacific, 6-1
MANOA, HI – The UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team (2-4, 0-0 Big West) continued to struggle in doubles play and dropped five of six singles matches, leading to a 6-1 loss against a tough Hawai'i Pacific (2-0) squad in Hawai'i on Saturday. Junior Tobias Galskov was the lone Gaucho to record a win, collecting his fourth dual match victory this season.
Hawai'i Pacific posed a tough challenge for the Gauchos despite their Division II status. The Sea Warriors are the No. 5-ranked team in Division II tennis and boast multiple ranked players, including No. 2-ranked Petr Michnev and No. 6 Jaume Martinez-Vich.
"The level of tennis was high today," said Coach Marty Davis, "they have some very skilled players."
The Gauchos dropped the doubles point for their fourth consecutive game, although UCSB kept the match close at No. 3 doubles, where the new pairing of Erik Johnsson and Teague Hamilton lost in a narrow 8-7 decision.
In singles, the Gauchos struggled to gain any momentum and lost five straight matches before Tobias Galskov recorded a win to avoid the sweep. The No. 108-ranked junior took care of Jaume Martinez-Vich in straight sets 6-3, 7-5.
The Gauchos also saw strong play from senior Sasha Gryaznov, who kept his match competitive and forced a 10-point match tiebreaker before falling to HPU's Thibaud Bertrand 4-6, 7-5, 10-4.
The Gauchos will regroup and face the University of Hawai'i on Sunday in their first Big West match of the season.
"We expect the level of intensity to be higher tomorrow and expect it to be a close match," stated Coach Marty Davis. "Today was preparation for us...tomorrow we should be better," Davis added.
The match is slated to begin at 10am HST tomorrow at the UH Tennis Complex.
Hawai'i Pacific 6, UC Santa Barbara 1
February 15, 2014
Manoa, HI (UH-Manoa Tennis Courts)
1. Michnev/Berland (HPU) def. Sultan/Gryaznov (UCSB) 8-5
2. Martinez-Vich/ Wetzel (HPU) def. Galskov/Seemann (UCSB) 8-4
3. Locorotondo/ Renault (HPU) def. Johnsson/Hamilton (UCSB) 8-7
1. Petr Michnev (HPU) def. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) 6-3, 7-6
2. #108 Tobias Galskov (UCSB) def. Jaume Martinez-Vich (HPU) 6-3, 7-5
3. Thibaud Berland (HPU) def. Sasha Gryaznov (UCSB) 4-6, 7-5, 10-4
4. Mattis Wetzel (HPU) def. Erik Johnsson (UCSB) 6-1, 6-1
5. Yann Renault (HPU) def. Andrew Riminton (UCSB) 6-3, 6-4
6. Adriano Locorotondo (HPU) def. Teague Hamilton (UCSB) 6-3, 6-3
Order of Finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles (4, 6, 5, 3, 1, 2)
UCSB Season Record: 2-4; Big West 0-0