EUGENE, Ore. – UC Santa Barbara men's tennis ended their three-match road trip with a loss against No. 52 ranked Oregon (3-0) in Eugene on Monday. The Gauchos (1-2) lost the doubles point and five singles matches in the 6-1 decision. Senior Sasha Gryaznov won his match in three sets at the No. 3 position to avoid the sweep.
UCSB was narrowly edged for the doubles point for the first time this season, with two out of the three matches going to a tiebreaker.
The Ducks claimed the first doubles match at court 2 where Oregon's Maasland/Swaysland handed Galskov/Seemann their first loss of the season in a 6-3 decision. At No. 3 doubles, Gaucho duo Hamilton and Riminton were defeated 11-9 in a tight tiebreaker to give Oregon the doubles point and early 1-0 lead.
Gauchos Sultan/Gryaznov were even in the tiebreaker at No. 1 doubles against Cambier/Farin when doubles play was suspended.
In singles play, the Gauchos lost five out of their six matches against the tough, nationally-ranked Oregon squad.
UCSB's lone win came at No. 3 singles where senior Sasha Gryaznov shook off a shutout in the first set against Oregon's Daan Maasland and won the next two sets 6-4, 6-4 to win his first match of the dual season and put UCSB on the board.
Despite the lopsided 6-1 score, several matches came down to the wire, suggesting that the match was closer than the score indicated.
At No. 2 singles, junior #79 Tobias Galskov lost in a close, three-set match that came down to a tiebreaker. Galskov bounced back from a one-set deficit against Robin Cambier to take the second set 6-3, but came out on the losing end of a tiebreaker in the third set.
Junior Ziad Sultan also had a tightly contested match but took a tough loss at court 1 in straight sets 6-5, 6-5.
The Gauchos will have a three-week layoff before returning to the courts with back-to-back games at home against Loyola Marymount on Feb. 8th and Arizona on Feb. 9th at the Rec Cen courts.
#52 University of Oregon 6, UCSB 1
Jan. 20, 2014
1. Sultan/Gryaznov (UCSB) vs. Cambier/Farin (ORE) 5-5 (6-6), DNF
2. Maasland/Swaysland (ORE) def. Galskov/Seemann (UCSB) 6-3
3. Sardu/Amos (ORE) def. Hamilton/Riminton (UCSB) 6-5 (11-9)
1. Kevin Farin (ORE) def. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) 6-5, 6-5
2. Robin Cambier (ORE) def. #79 Tobias Galskov (UCSB) 6-5, 3-6, 6-5
3. Sasha Gryaznov (UCSB) def. Daan Maasland (ORE) 0-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Joey Swaysland (ORE) def. Erik Johnsson (UCSB) 6-4, 6-2
5. Daniel Sardu (ORE) def. Teague Hamilton (UCSB) 6-1, 6-4
6. Jayson Amos (ORE) def. Andrew Riminton (UCSB) 6-2, 6-3
Order of Finish: Doubles (2, 3, DNF); Singles (5, 6, 4, 1, 3, 2)
UCSB SEASON RECORD: 1-2