No. 49 Gauchos Top UC San Diego, 6-1
SANTA BARBARA, Calif. - Coming off of a week of final exams, the 49th-ranked UC Santa Barbara men's tennis team returned the court and posted a 6-1 win over visiting UC San Diego on Thursday afternoon.
After losing the doubles point, the Gauchos swept the six singles matches. At the No. 1 spot, Mathieu Forget swept Chapman Chan by a 6-2, 6-3 score. Benjamin Recknagel kept the singles sweep going at the No. 2 spot as he crushed Junya Yoshida, 6-1, 6-3.
On Saturday, the #49 UCSB men square off against #55 Denver at Noon (note changed start time) in a match that could lift the Gaucho's ranking and NCAA at-large tournament bid chances.
On Sunday, the Gauchos face conference rival University of Pacific (again at noon). A win against the Tigers would put the UCSB men in great position for a first round bye at the Big West Conference Championship tournament in Indian Wells April 27-29.
No. 49 UCSB 6 -UC San Diego 1
1. West/Souza def. Forget/Recknagel (UCSB) 8-6
2. Wall/Luu def. Ndimande/Sultan (UCSB) 8-5
3. Bouillin/Knudtzon (UCSB) def. Ling/Jigante 8-6
1. Mathieu Forget (UCSB) def. Chapman Chan 6-2,6-3
2. Benjamin Recknagel (UCSB) def. Junya Yoshida 6-1,6-3
3. Mbonisi Ndimande (UCSB) def. Austin West 6-3,6-0
4. Greg Scott (UCSB) def. Max Jiganti 6-3,6-1
5. Ziad Sultan (UCSB) def. Sam Ling 6-0,6-0
6. Axel Bouillin (UCSB) def. Kona Luu 6-0,6-4
Order of finish: Singles (5,2,6,3,4,1)
SEASON RECORD: 10-6
BIG WEST RECORD: 2-1