• The Schedule
Friday February 17, 2012 at 2 p.m.
Saturday February 18, 2012 at 11:00 a.m.
Saturday February 18, 2012 at 2:00 p.m.
Sunday February 19, 2012 at 1:00 p.m.
UC Santa Barbara vs. Oregon State (0-0)
at UCSB's Caesar Uyesaka Stadium (1,000)
Overall record vs. the Beavers – 9-12-1
Last series win – N/A
Last series loss – 2011 (3/25 - 3/27 @ OSU; 1-2)
Last time out vs. the Beavers – W, 8-3 @ OSU (3/27/11)
Streak – Won 1
• Checketts Era Begins
New head coach Andrew Checketts will make his UCSB debut after being named the ninth head coach in program history on June 22, 2011. Checketts will be the first new head coach since Bob Brontsema took over in 1994. Checketts, an Oregon State All-American pitcher as a senior, joined UCSB after three seasons at the University of Oregon where he was the pitching coach and recruiting coordinator.
• Listen Up!
Nearly all of the UCSB baseball games will be broadcast either on AM 1290 in Santa Barbara or exclusively online through this link. Opening Day and every Big West Conference game will air live on AM 1290 and online by clicking here and almost 20 more Gaucho baseball games will be broadcast live through this link. To see the entire broadcast schedule, click here.
• Get Your Tickets
Season tickets are still available for one low price and every season ticket purchase will receive a $25 gift card to The Gauchos Shop or the new white-panel Sunday hat. Get your tickets by clicking here or calling 893-UCSB.
• Gauchos Again
UCSB has a pair of pitchers on its staff who were drafted but decided to wear the blue and gold again. Right-hander Matt Vedo was selected in last June's amateur draft in the 49th round by the Los Angeles Angels while left-hander Kevin Gelinas has been drafted twice in the past three seasons but each time returned to UCSB.
• Pitching In
UCSB's team ERA in 2011 was 3.65, which served as the Gauchos' lowest since posting a 3.24 clip all the way back in 1984. In fact, no Gaucho team between those two seasons has had an ERA lower than 4.00. UCSB returns five pitchers from last year's team.
• At the Polls
In the annual Big West preseason poll, UCSB was tabbed to finish sixth in the conference while Cal State Fullerton was picked to win the league crown.
• The Ins and Outs
The Gauchos lost several key players from last year's team including three All-Big West First Team selections Mark Haddow, Sean Williams and Bryce Uhrig. However, the Gauchos return several players who saw ample playing time last season including All-Big West Honorable Mention selections Ryan Palermo and Steven Moon.
A number of exciting new promotions are planned to capitalize on the buzz surrounding Gaucho Baseball:
- Autograph Sundays – kids, every Sunday grab an autograph from selected members of the Gauchos.
- Baseball Buddies – bring your Little League team, take the field with the Gauchos, sing the 7th inning stretch and run the bases post-game.
- GKids – free admission to each game with the T-shirt and membership.
- Red Vine Ball Return – grab some Red Vine licorice when you return a foul ball to the Gaucho Shop. Red Vines are a favorite in-game snack for Coach Checketts.
- Throwback Tuesdays – turn back the clock on those beautiful afternoons at Ceasar Uyesaka Stadium.
- Lucky Numbers and the Gaucho Prize Wheel – sevens are wild on Saturdays with seven prizes through seven innings.