On The Mark: The AD Report
On the Mark: AD Report
Only two weeks until you return to this beautiful campus by the sea. Right? All Gaucho Reunion (AGR) is April 27-29 and do you really need a reason to return to UCSB and Santa Barbara? Athletics is once again proud to be part of this important homecoming with the Alumni Association and give our alumni and supporters the excuse to come home to Santa Barbara each year.
For us, the highlight is the induction of the 2012 Athletics Hall of Fame class. We have an exceptional class featuring the women’s tennis doubles team of Amelia White and Kelly Spencer, men’s volleyball star Mike Gorman, standout wide receiver Amahl Thomas, former women’s basketball coach Mark French, and former baseball coach Al Ferrer. Also, in 2012, we initiate a biennial award to accompany the Hall of Fame inductions, the Distinguished Gaucho Award. The initial award, which honors a former Gaucho athlete who has achieved great success in his/her post-UCSB career, was awarded to former tennis player Wayne Bryan, ’69.
Here’s a brief summary of Athletics’ events along with a link to the complete list of what our friends in recreation, alumni and all over campus have planned for AGR. And remember to register for the weekend to receive free parking on campus. If you want to look at a list of all campus activities, click here.
3:00 p.m. - Baseball vs. UC Davis @ Caesar Uyesaka Stadium. New skipper Andrew Checketts and Gauchos try to stay in upper half in vital Big West series. Tix available at the game or by calling 893-UCSB.
5:30 – 8:00 p.m. - Annual reception in the memory-filled Phil Womble Hall of Champions in the Intercollegiate Athletics Building. Free to all teams, alums and supporters
5:00 – 7:00 p.m. - Women’s Soccer kicks off “Soccer Heaven” spring-style with match vs. Cal State LA. The women will have another match Saturday vs. alumni at 11 a.m.
9:00 a.m. - The Gaucho Order Letterwinners board meeting in Reitnouer Auditorium in Intercollegiate Athletics Building.
10:00 a.m. - Women’s Basketball Alumni game and a special “Chalk Talk” with Mark French following the game at 2:00 p.m. Pay at game.
10:00 a.m. - Men's water polo "beach" tournament and lunch. At Campus Pool.
11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. - Women's soccer alumni game.
1:00 – 3:00 p.m. – Men’s Soccer plays alumni game in Harder Stadium. Free.
1:00 p.m. - Baseball vs. UC Davis.
5:00 – 6:00 p.m. - Open reception for Hall of Fame class in Phil Womble Hall of Champions in the Intercollegiate Athletics Building. Free.
6:00 p.m. - Hall of Fame Dinner in Thunderdome. $75 per person.
7:00 p.m. - Men’s and women's soccer winds down with a social for friends, supporters and alumni at Santa Barbara Yacht Club, 130 Harbor Way, Santa Barbara. Appetizers and cash bar.
10:00 a.m. - Eighth Annual Women's Soccer Golf Tournament at Glen Annie Golf Course in Goleta.
11:00 a.m. - Men's water polo alumni game at Campus Pool.
1:00 p.m. - Baseball vs. UC Davis.
Questions? Our annual fund – Gaucho Fund – Director, Christina Baglas, can help you and give you more detail on this incredible homecoming weekend: Christina.Baglas@athletics.ucsb.edu.
Besides the excitement for AGR, UCSB Athletics is continuing to highlight our 400 student-athletes and 20 programs daily. Our tradition is important today. Each day our current student-athletes walk through the Phil Womble Hall of Champions and see first hand the stories, teams, coaches and accomplishments made by you, our alumni. And supported by you, our friends and donors.
Our new television show, “Gauchos in Thirty," is one of the many ways we are telling these stories. Airing throughout the Santa Barbara marketplace and online you can enjoy any of the nine episodes we have launched. It is well produced.
Also our fourth edition of DARE Magazine will be out in early summer. If you are a Gaucho Fund donor you will continue to receive it free. If not, and would like a free copy, please let us know by clicking on the link above.
Below are some quick hitters before we see you in perfect Santa Barbara on April 27-29.
- Each year we refresh the Phil Womble Hall of Champions for AGR weekend. We update championships, NCAA appearances and add to the display cases (i.e. this year we added jerseys of our World Series Gauchos – the Rangers’ Michael Young, Cardinals’ Skip Schumaker and Colorado Rockies’ Ryan Spilborghs - to the baseball case). I’m happy and humbled to announce this year we have added the Stars and Stripes and state flag to the hall and placed a special tribute to September 11 in our Legacy Sports case.
- T/F has the best, yes, the best in the nation. Barbara Nwaba is ranked #1. We’ve also started the “Sam Adams Invitational.”
- Baseball hosted highly successful reunion weekend in January (Link to vid) and there is excitement about driving to the top of Big West. Hammerheads are fired up, support is up and help secured for “Campaign for Gaucho Park” which will be ready by 2013 season.
- They went back for the 14th time. Yes, Carlene Mitchell in only her first year at the helm of our successful women’s basketball program earned a spot in the NCAA big dance. Click here to get an inside look at the trip to Bowling Green, Ohio.
- Men’s Basketball will be young and hungry next year with the new all-time winningest coach, Bob Williams, signing a talented class for 2012-13. Click here to read about the recriuits.
- Ward and Yamauchi continue the long line of UCSB swimmers who compete at the NCAA’s. Click here to watch their story!
- Men’s Tennis is ranked and on the verge of NCAA bid. Learn about one of our many “Great Examples,” (link to vid) Mathieu Forget, who leads the way.
As the theme for AGR 2012 states we are “Better Together” and it’s so true.
Follow me on Twitter @olesboss